Thank you to all who worked hard to participate in the Third Annual National Bioenergy Day! We counted more than 60 groups participating – about a 30% increase over 2014.
This year, in addition to the dozens of great events held across the United States and Canada, we saw significant support on the federal level. The U.S. Forest Service served as a partner for the second year, and the Department of Energy’s Bioenergy Technologies Office also provided support.
The newly formed Congressional Biomass Caucus held a kickoff event on Capitol Hill with a panel discussion on bioenergy. (Please see a recent column by Bob Cleaves in Biomass Magazine.) The discussion encompassed many aspects of the complex bioenergy industry – forest management, power, thermal and pellets. Now counting 17 bipartisan Caucus members, co-chairs Rep. Bruce Westerman (R-AR) and Rep. Annie Kuster (D-NH) intend to shed more light on bioenergy issues.
Canadian officials also got in on National Bioenergy Day activities, with Ontario Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli making a statement and the British Columbia Government officially marking the day.
Social media mentions of #bioenergyday numbered well into the hundreds, especially with the Department of Energy tweeting 8 times throughout the day to its more than 250,000 followers. New participant Abengoa also tweeted several times to its 15,000 followers. The buzz contributed to the 2015 video surpassing 1350 views in just over a month.
Media Stories across North America
- British Columbia Legislature
- Clarkson University (New York) News & Events
- Craven County Wood Energy (New Bern, North Carolina) on WCTI-TV
- Greenwood Clean Energy (Washington State) in the Digital Journal
- Koda Energy (Shakopee, MN) in Biomass Magazine
- Louisiana State University AgCenter in the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report
- Minnesota Power in the Grand Rapids Herald Review
- Mt. Poso (California) Press Release
- Nebraska Forest Service in the Sioux City Journal
- Ontario Power Generation in the Northwest Chronicle Journal
- ReEnergy Stratton Maine in the Daily Bulldog
- Renewable Energy Vermont in the Vermont Digger:
- State of Kentucky and Cox Interior in the Central Kentucky News Journal